Length and form of studies
BPI Pastoral Ministry program is a 3 year training program.
First year: full time studies and ministry on the weekends.
Second and third year: full time ministry and one week per month of studies at BPI.
Program content is made up of following courses and activities:
- Foundations of Christian life
- Old Testament overview and Theology
- New Testament overview and Theology
- Bible overview; independent studies and discussions
- Introduction to Theology and teaching about Trinity
- History of Christianity
- World views and religions
- Leading a church and implementing changes
- Church planting
- Nehemiah and seven leadership principles
- Spiritual gifts in the church
- Bible interpretation and preaching: theory and practice
- Pastoral ministry and ethics
- Personality of church leader, development and relationships
- Evangelization and discipleship
- Mentoring: theory and practical work in groups (all three years)
- Raising financial support
- Forming and leading a team
- Theory and practice of small group
- English language
- Stages of human development
- Ministering to different social groups
- Ministry and participation in GLS Leadership Summit, BPI DRAFT camps as well as in different LBCU activities
- Book reading project (2nd and 3rd year )
Characteristics of Program
Pastoral Ministry program is characterized by:
- Transformation: We want to promote radical change in Christ’s disciples that is accomplished by God’s strength and grace in the hearts of our students.
- Integrative approach: We want teaching, mentoring and ministry training to be as one unit that in creative ways involves entire person in learning process.
- Experience: Students are encouraged to purposefully and actively get involved in experiences that will influence their lives. They have to think critically about their experience as they develop new skills, attitudes and ways of thinking. Students participate in ministry projects where they are given responsibilities; they have to evaluate effectiveness of the event in their own lives and ministry effectiveness as a whole. All students have to participate in serious summer ministry, including BPI DRAFT camps.
- Learning from the best: We consider that those who are most effective in ministry are the best ones to train next generation. The learning process will involve the best leaders, pastors and thinkers that are available to us.
- Creative spirit and innovative work: our approach to learning is not connected only to one method or teaching strategy. Faculty is urged to teach in creative and new ways. Some courses are offered in a traditional way – several times a week during several weeks, but other courses are more intense – they last entire week or take place over weekend seminars.
- Balance: although some courses and learning activities will mainly focus on one of the four areas of results (content, skills, character or culture), lecturers will teach in ways that take into account all four aspects.
- Tasks that are meaningful for students: our goal is not to overwork students, but students do have to complete different projects and have to write thoughtful essays.
- Mentors: each student has to find their mentor or mentors who will support and nurture their mentoree.
- Community: Students regularly participate in small group work. They learn to organize and lead small groups that take care both for members of the group and for people outside the church. They can improve their spiritual and personal life in this work.
- English language skills: Many ministry and educational possibilities are completely dependent on person’s English language skills, therefore students have to master English. Some lectures are in English with Latvian translation at the same time providing English language training.
Students can apply for student grant during their first year of studies.
As they learn about fund raising, beginning with second year, students themselves are responsible for providing finances for themselves and their ministry.
Dean: Līva Fokrote
Address: Lacplesa Street 37
Riga, LV-1011, Latvia
Phone: +371 27702028